Friday, December 14, 2007

First Post


As I sit here and contemplate how I want to get things going, I decided that I would do something you wont find on here often. I would write about somebody that I actually care for.

70 years ago Today my Pops was born. He is the youngest of Three children. He was born here in San Diego and grew up in Lincoln Acres. He attended Sweetwater High and spent some time in the Air Force and the Navy Reserves. He was married Three times and has Three Kids (me being the middle). He has worked in the Ship Building/Repair buisness for most of his Career, starting as a welder and working his way up to Management. Over the years, his work has brought him to Vietnam, Iran (where he met my Mom, his third and final Wife), and American Samoa. He has been retired for a couple of years now and enjoys playing the Stocks and irritating my Mom and Daughter.

My Father is the one of main reasons I am who I am Today. I'm sure that everybody can say that, but I don't think everybody does. Here are some of the finer points of his personality, for better or worse, that have helped mold me into who I am.

If you are a Friend of my Father, You are a Friend for Life. Almost to a Fault. If you are in any kind of jam, he will do anything and everything in his power to help you out. He is brutaly honest and speaks his mind. You wont get any lip service from him. He says what he means and means what he says. He has a Wonderfully Sarcastic sense of Humor and enjoys making use of it.

He also Stresses too much on things. Which can drive him to get angry rather quickly. He can also hold a grudge for a long time, if you piss him off it could take a long time, if ever, to get back on his good side. He has an addictive side to him, and tends to do things to excess. Too much of a good thing isn't always good.

But the Big Picture of all this is my Father is a good man, and has lived a good life. Like any Human, he isn't perfect, but then who is. I just wanted to say that as he turns 70, I hope he knows that I appreciate everything he has done for me and that I Love, Respect, and Admire him.

Happy Birthday Dad!

1 comment:

Dean said...

Jerry, Congratulations on your inaugural post and welcome to the rash, unethical and journalistically irresponsible realm of the blogosphere.

Thanks for the link. I'll throw TBimH up on my site when I get home.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Horning!

Dean